Jan 19, 2011

My Passion vs My Day Job

ActiveRain Real Estate Network
I was doing a search on blog topics because I was stuck on what to write today.. I found this article which mentioned a topic: My Passion vs My Day Job.” So I decided that this is what I would blog about.

To my dismay not all of my jobs have not been related to my passion up until 5 years ago that is.. Although to be truly honest my passions have changed over the years. I was a hairdresser, a nurse, decorator, a tax preparer and purchasing agent for a steel company.

It was in my last job as a purchasing agent that things started to change. My job became more political and was more about churning out results and deadlines, I no longer felt like I was doing what I was born to do.

This was a turning point in my life... I asked myself some hard questions one of them being "What am I truly passionate about?" To my surprise I discovered it really was decorating homes, staging them, and constantly looking at them. That’s when I decided to turn my new passion into my new career. I took courses on Home Staging, Business Admin and updated my decorating knowlege. I haven’t looked back and I have absolutely no regrets.

Since I began my Home Staging business, I have found new passions within the job. I love to see the looks on my clients faces when they come home to a transformed space that takes their breath away or they sell a property quicker than they thought they would. My JOB has afforded me more opportunities than I ever thought possible. I love that I learn something new every single day. I love meeting new people! Is it easy? Nope. Is it worth it? YOU BET!!

I thought I would share some of the things that helped me along the way to keep my day job as my passion!

* Stay organized: Make lists.
* Prioritize, Prioritize, Prioritize. Sometimes the emails can wait when a movie and popcorn with the family is calling your name.
* SIMPLIFY. Organize your workflow so that you spend precious time on the most important part of your job – working with your clients.
* Educate yourself: Follow industry related journals, keep yourself in the know! Read The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. It really makes you think about the precious minutes of your day and how you can consolidate to do more in less time.
* Be patient. Remember that it takes time to build an empire. Build relationships with your clients. Be authentic. That is the hardest part for me.. the patient part that is!
* Work SMARTER not HARDER. This is my motto for 2011

So I am happy to say that my Day Job is my passion and I’m so thankful for it!!!